Sunday, May 29, 2011

Atkins - Week 2

Week 2 wasn't as good as week 1 on Atkins. I actually had 2 days where I cheated, and it wasn't light cheating, it was more of a I was hungry and we didn't have the money to go to the store, so I ate the high carb that was on hand. I am proud to say that the next day I jumped right back on the 20 net carb bandwagon and stayed on since.

I do love the challenge of this program and trying to figure out how I can eat as much as possible and stick to the 20 net carbs per day. I am just going to have to learn that I can't just eat a big salad per day and that be it on the veggies. I did start incorporating pumpkin into my foods (4 net carbs = 1/2 cup) as well as ground flax seeds (0 net carbs because all the carbs are fiber).

I was a little upset that I only lost 2 pounds this week taking my total up to 9.4lbs in 2 weeks, but I also lost 9 1/2 inches, so that along with those 9.4 pounds lost reminds me that this is worth doing. I have noticed that on the days that I'm on program and haven't cheated that I don't feel hungry and have no desire to cheat. I realize that after two weeks of looking back at this journey that I have to make sure that there is enough fresh/frozen veggies in the house for me each day or I will fail.

Another thing I worry about with this is that I'm not getting enough calories in per day if I eat a few higher carb things because no matter how low carb you eat, your body does need so many calories each day to function. But that's part of the challenge that I like with this way of eating.

I have started doing a low carb protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk for breakfast, some days with pumpkin to get a veggie in for breakfast. I also have started doing something that I remembered doing for the South Beach Diet. In the SBD they recommend eating ricotta cheese with cinnamon, lemon, or lime and splenda. So, what I started doing as a dessert is 1/4 cup ricotta whole milk cheese with a tsp of sugar free jello mix or 1/4 cup pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice and splenda. It is just like flavored cheesecake and with the SF jello it's 3 net carbs, with the pumpkin it's 5 net carbs.

I'm ready for a week of no cheating and more consistent exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment