Sunday, September 5, 2010

Writing

Okay, so here it is. I've always wanted to be a published author. Not jut my freelance journalism work but novels. I started writing stories when I was in 2nd grade and have always dreamed about getting published. In college, I wrote fan fiction for Days of Our Lives but I became so consumed with writing it that I lived, ate, and breathed for my fan fiction and the compliments I got on it. Every once in awhile, I still get emails requesting permission to add them to people's websites.

The problem with this dream is until now, I haven't been able to finish the stories I've begun. Sure, I finished the fan fiction stories but that was so much easier because they were about established characters. I didn't have to describe looks and details about their lives like I would in a novel.

I can always come up with an idea to start a story but it loses steam after I finish outlining the plot. It's thinking about all of the details and the dialogue that always burns me out. I started thinking that maybe those two things need to be separated out for me to finish a story. Maybe I need to actually write the story without the dialogue and get the details and descriptions down. Once I finish that, I can go back and add dialogue in and make it much smoother than it would be if I had to sit there and think about all of it at once.

So a couple months ago I was inspired to begin writing a story about a girl kidnapped into the sex trade while she's on spring break. It's different than other stories I've written because most of the other stories I've tried to write were romances and this isn't. I'm a big reader of romance novels and have evolved my tastes, but maybe that's not the kind of novels I'm meant to write. There are authors that really inspire the artist in me.

I finally can visualize in my head the ending of the story. So, I hope that I can soon finish my first novel. The next step is even harder, getting it published but I'm willing to go through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment