Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Day Before Turkey Day

It's one day before Thanksgiving and I'm trying to figure out what to take to my in-law's house for dinner. Traditionally, at my family's Thanksgiving we'd have the following:

  • Turkey (usually about 14lbs) & a Ham
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Homemade Sausage & Sourdough Stuffing
  • Gibblet gravy
  • Orange jello with shredded pineapple & carrots
  • Salad (iceburg lettuce, carrots, raddicio lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and choice of dressing)
  • Sweet corn
  • Oven-browned dinner rolls
  • 2-3 of each Pumpkin pie and Lemon Meringue pie
My problem is that Mike's family's Thanksgiving they have a totally different spread. His parents are always saying that they spend so much money on the Thanksgiving dinner and no one is willing to contribute. I always ask every time we go to his parent's house for dinner if they want us to bring anything and they always say the same thing: soda. Two years in a row, Mike and I contributed the turkey because we each got a free one from where we worked. I have no idea if anyone will even eat what I bring especially if they've never had it before. This is what his family makes:
  • Turkey (not sure what size) & a Pork Rib roast
  • Salad
  • Baked mac & cheese
  • Cranberries
  • Stuffing (usually burnt on top and edges)
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes (not traditional made but with Jack Daniels)
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake 
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Peach Cobbler (made by his older sister)
  • Apple Pie
There's not much to work with there. I told Mike I honestly wish his parents would just divide it up amongst them, us, and his oldest sister and say who is bringing what then trade off each year on who buys the turkey. It would be a lot less hassle and a lot less guess work.
This is one of the reasons I dread the holidays at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment