Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Plan of Attack

So, for the last 2 weeks I've been saying that I know the extra refined sugar/carbohydrates in my diet are what is causing my weight gain and yoyoing at weigh ins but haven't done anything to change it. I've been looking at what I did my first week, food-wise, and came to a conclusion. The one thing I did that week that I haven't done since is really restrict my refined sugar/carb intake.

If I'm going to take this serious and get healthy then I have to eat defensively. Sounds kind of funny, huh? Defensive eating sounds like I'm fighting with my food. What I'm looking at it as is defensive eating is a way to eat so I can defend my body against the insulin resistance and diabetes and a host of other obesity related diseases. I'm not looking at this as a way to lose a ton of weight quickly, I'm looking at it as a way to take back control of my body and my fertility.

My basic plan of attack is that I am cutting out bread entirely, with the exception of very very special occasions, whole grain pasta, corn and brown rice are limited to once a week if that. I'm adding at least 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of veggies (and mostly green veggies because they are anti-estrogens) per day. At least half my daily points are going to go towards lean protein sources, which is plenty of protein per day. I already take a multi-vitamin (with probiotics, digestive enzymes, and green food supplements added as an extra), folic acid, fish oil, and iron so I'm hoping these will help me out.

I am also cutting out all drinkable calories with the exception of grapefruit juice and decaffeinated hot tea (with 1 tablespoon of honey). I drink mostly water, so I'm not really worried about implementing this change though I wasn't strict on it before. I am allowing 1 cup of grapefruit juice per day because it is a natural cholesterol lowering product and also is a natural anti-estrogen. I can also get 1 serving of fruit in per day with just 8oz of 100% no sugar added grapefruit juice.

I did research on natural anti-estrogens after learning that clomid is an anti-estrogen. The main reason I was researching it is because I can't get in to see a new RE before I'll need to start a new round of clomid, so December is going to be a clomid free month, which is probably good for Mike because he's already going to be dealing with me going through sugar withdrawals so the extra hormones the clomid adds in would probably make him run for the hills. One of the best anti-estrogens that I came across is DIM, which I plan to get at the store this weekend, and 100% no sugar added grapefruit juice. They aren't as strong as clomid but I figure anything that gives my a boos in the fight against insulin resistance and are natural supplements then they can't hurt. I'm also adding a cinnamon supplement in for good measure.

I'm hoping this works and I can keep it up indefinitely. I just have to remember what the goal is and not let anything else interfere with it. Just have to remember to be strict with myself and not let myself slip with this plan while my parents are in town the next couple weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I have read that wild african yams work just like Clomid also... and now I am curious if it is because they are anti estrogen as well.... hmmmm????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard wild african yams but have heard wild mexican yams...I'll have to look it up and see.

    ReplyDelete