Saturday, November 27, 2010

Post-Thanksgiving

It's been colder than usual for this time of year in Vegas...it makes me feel like I'm at home. I had a nice walk this morning to my meeting and afterward to the bus. The funny thing is that everyone is complaining about how cold it is and how unusual it is for this time of year to be this cold. You'd think after 6 months of high desert heat people would be open to a change in the weather that means Christmas is in the air.

I did great Thanksgiving day, with the exception of having 3 brown dinner rolls, which was 2 over my set limit. I was a bit disappointed in dinner though because instead of the usual salad, which I'd planned to fill up on, the only veggies available were two I wouldn't touch if my life depended on it: green beans and collard greens. I have nothing against fresh collard greens but cooked they are as nasty as canned spinach (I love fresh spinach though). I even tried making them myself and Mike loved them but I couldn't even finish one bite. Plain and simple green beans and greens are just NASTY!

The rest of my week was however a sugar fest, which is why I gained 2.4lbs this week. I am disappointed in myself that I can't seem to say no to the sugar. I know I need to because of my insulin resistance but it's not easy to give up an addiction to it and sugar addiction is one of the most common and unrealized addictions in America. I am planning a new attack, I am going to make sure I get as many fruits and veggies in as possible each day in the hopes that I won't feel the need to feed the sugar addiction because I'm full. If I don't quite manage that, I'm going to go to sugar free alternatives, like sugar free fat free pudding, fruit, unsweetened apple sauce,etc.

I realize that I've been half-heartedly doing the WW thing in hopes that I can lose enough to get pregnant then quit and go back after I'd have the baby and get serious about it. I can't continue doing it if I'm not going to give it my all, and so I've decided while we still want to have a baby, I need to make sure that my efforts to get healthy are more important. How can I be a good mother when I don't care enough about myself to be healthy? I'm not saying we are going to stop trying to have a baby or even put it on hold, we are just going to focus on the getting healthy part and let the baby part happen when it happens.

I am, however, done for good with that crackpot reproductive endocrinologist we were going to. I'm hoping to get in to see another one this week but with the holidays a lot of them are fully scheduled...not sure why that is but maybe it's fate's way of telling us that we need to relax for the month and enjoy the holidays.

There is another plus to December, Mike found out that he has 48 hours of vacation that he has to use that they didn't include on his check stubs (they list vacation hours available and how many are left). At first we were kind of panicked because he has to use them by the end of the year but we decided to ask for pretty much 4 days weekends every week of December except the last week since he New Year's eve is mandatory even if it's his scheduled day off. So hopefully Mike will have those 4 day weekends if it works out right.

It's time to roll out those Christmas movies and decorations...I'm ready, or almost, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment